Waterloss Management Project - Aqwest
Aqwest engaged WISE to review their existing water loss management plan for the Bunbury water system and provide an assessment of establishing District Metered Areas to assist with water loss detection.
The approach to the project was:
- Verify the current level of water loss to identify the drivers for investment
- Look for opportunities to use existing metering arrangements to provide a better breakdown of water loss within the existing network
- Prepare a schematic of the water system to share an understanding of the constraints and opportunities for metering given the current arrangement of treated water transfers, service storages and distribution networks
- Assess concepts for establishing District Metered Area boundaries, minimising impacts on customer pressures, water transfers and security of supply
- Assess the cost of water resulting from establishing DMAs to inform investment decisions at the current level of water loss
The project is currently at the stage of developing a trial District Metered Area, which will pilot Aqwest’s approach to water loss detection and improve understanding of cost for a potential wider role out.